Academic Services Coordinator
UPWARD BOUND PROGRAM
The position of Academic Services Coordinator is 100% time over 12 months. Start date is negotiable. The ASC Coordinator will have the responsibility for the assessment, academic planning and monitoring of academic progress for the 52 high school participants accepted into this college-preparatory program and the overall program. The Academic Services Coordinator is also responsible for all summer residential program components. The Academic Services Coordinator shall serve as a strong role model, and develop and implement program services to promote the success of its students and program goals.
- Manages the high school component, including the recruitment, selection, assessment and monitoring of students.
- Assess participant's academic needs, academic potential, and aptitude, and design individualized academic plans.
- Responsible for all aspects of the summer residential component including hiring, scheduling, and implementation of all academic courses and other activities including planning and attending a multi-day out of state trip for junior participants.
- Coordinates all guidance services (educational, financial, and personal) for program participants.
- Obtain, maintain, and evaluate participants' educational records.
- Provide academic advising sessions monthly to participants in one of four high schools.
- Administer and interpret diagnostic tests to assess student's academic skills and progress.
- Supervise and coordinate academic tutoring hiring, training, and activities.
- Assist program staff to ensure success of program goals.
- Attend all project functions (i.e. workshops, campus visits, recruiting and advising sessions, Award Nights, etc.).
- Assist with the implementation of campus visits, cultural events, career fairs, and other programs.
- Coordinate seminars and enrichment activities regarding post secondary education application process to senior participants.
- Work long and irregular hours (some weekends/evenings) and willingness to be flexible.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree, Master's preferred, in Family Studies, Human Services, Counseling, Student Personnel, Educational Administration, Secondary Education, or related field.
- Familiarity with the use and application of assessment instruments and diagnostic tests.
- Knowledge of current educational resources and information on career planning, college admissions, and financial aid resources.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the needs to economically and educationally disadvantaged youth.
- Direct work experience with target group.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
$30,000-$34,000 annual salary, depending on qualifications
ANTICIPATED CONTRACT PERIOD:
September 15, 2013 - August 31, 2017 Reappointment is contingent upon approval of federal funding.
Submit a letter of interest, resume, and names and phone numbers of three references to:
Upward Bound Program-Salina
2310 Centennial Road
Science Center, Room 207
Salina, KS 67401
Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Checks Required.