Connecting from home with Windows . . . to a Windows office computer
Note: Before attempting to connect, make sure you've properly configured your Windows office computer and that you've installed the necessary software on your home computer.
- Connect to the VPN by clicking on the OpenVPN icon on your desktop or in your start menu.
- In the OpenVPN Client window, type in vpn.salina.k-state.edu and click Connect.
- Enter your Salina user-ID and password and click login.
- Once a successful connection has been made you should see a window similar to the one below:
- Click Start > Run (If you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7, just click the Start button). In the text box type in mstsc and hit Enter.
- A Remote Desktop Connection window will appear. Press the "Options" drop-down button (lower-left corner).
- Fill in the Computer and User name fields, and then click Connect:
- Computer: (IP address or DNS name of your office computer - eg. "jsmith.sal.ksu.edu")
- User name: (SALINA/"your Salina ID")
Note: you can save your connection settings to a shortcut on your desktop by clicking "Save" or "Save As".
- You may receive a warning like the one below. Put a check in Don't ask me again... and click Yes.
- A window with a login screen for your office computer should appear. Log in just as you would if you were in your office, with your Salina user-ID and password.