Connecting from home with Windows . . . to a Windows office computer
Note: Before attempting to connect, make sure you've properly configured your Windows office computer and that you've installed the necessary software on your home computer.
- Connect to the VPN by clicking on the OpenVPN icon on your desktop or in your start menu.
- In the OpenVPN Client window, type in vpn.salina.k-state.edu and click Connect.
- Enter your Salina user-ID and password and click login.
- Once a successful connection has been made you should see a window similar to the
- Click Start > Run (If you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7, just click the Start button). In the
text box type in mstsc and hit Enter.
- A Remote Desktop Connection window will appear. Type in the IP address or DNS name of your office computer and click Connect.
(The DNS Name of your office computer is usually the same as your eID - eg. "jsmith" or "jsmith.salina.k-state.edu")
Note: you can save your connection settings to a shortcut on your desktop by clicking on Options and selecting Save As.
- If your office computer is running Windows XP, you may receive a warning like the
one below. Put a check in Don't ask me again... and click Yes.
- A window with a login screen for your office computer should appear. Log in just as you would if you were in your office, with your Salina user-ID and password.