About the Program
K-State Salina's undergraduate social work program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of the Council on Social Work Education. The undergraduate major is recognized as the beginning-level professional degree.
Students graduating from the social work program at K-State Salina are eligible for the social work licensing examination and certification process in states that have such requirements. Students who wish to pursue graduate studies in social work will be eligible for advanced standing in master of social work programs throughout the United States.
What is Social Work?
- Social Work is a dynamic, changing, and challenging profession with a vast array of career options and rich opportunities for deep personal satisfaction.
- Professional social workers are experts who help people obtain the resources they need to live with dignity.
- Social workers are also committed to making society more responsive to people's needs.
- Social work's historical mission has been helping the disadvantaged, those who have been excluded from participation in the ideal of a just and equitable society.
- Contemporary social workers also assist people from all walks of life, with all kinds of problems, in all kinds of settings--rich, poor, black or white, young or old, in hospitals, at home or at work.
- Social work is a profession for those with a spark of idealism, a belief in social justice and a natural love for working with people.
- Social work offers a person a career with the chance to work with and for people of all kinds and needs.
Why Major in Social Work?
- You want a good job and one that "makes a difference"
- You like to help people, see them grow and change in positive ways
- You want a degree that offers maximum flexibility in the job market
- You want a professional degree – one that prepares you for a position as a professional social worker
- You like to get out of the office and meet people, no sitting around for you!
- You believe that everybody deserves a chance at a better life and you want to help them have it
- You have been told that you are a great listener and helper and want to make a career out of what you do well
- You like to learn about others' ways of thinking and behaving
- You are interested in different cultures and ways of life
- You like being around kids
- You like being around older adults
- You like being around teenagers
- Basically, you like people and believe in the value of helping others to "be all that they can be"